Monday, March 29, 2010

IFD and ER

Yep, as in the Indianapolis Fire Department and the Emergency Room...it's been quite chaotic around here the past few days! On Thursday afternoon Declan and I went out to the back yard to play. I had my keys to unlock the garage to get out some of his toys, after doing that I put them back in the house because I didn't need them and so he wouldn't want to play with them. After playing for awhile we were getting ready to go in, Declan beat me to the door and closed it before I could get up the stairs...no big deal, but as I went to turn the knob he had already locked the door from the inside! AAAHHH!! I tried calling BC, but could not get ahold of him and after trying to get Declan to turn the little lock I had no choice but to call 911. They put me through to the fire department and a couple of minutes later a big truck with sirens on rolled up along with 2 police cars! They were so nice about the situation and had the door open within seconds. Our poor little guy was just standing there with tears:( Thank goodness I had the phone with me! Fast forward to Saturday afternoon, I had a bunch of errands to run and BC wanted to watch the games, so I left after we put Declan down for a nap. I called on my way home and BC said that they had "fun" and he'd tell me about when I got home. Well, as I pulled in the garage I noticed a gross little pile of yucky white on the ground and then some more (this one had some yellow mac n cheese in it) on the porch. I didn't need to ask, I knew Declan had gotten sick. BC began to tell me all about the afternoon, Dec had some mac n cheese after he woke up and then they went for a walk, about an hour later (with no warning) it all came back up! Declan asked for some yogurt and that too came right back up! As I was listening to BC tell me the story Declan was drinking some water and out of no where...more puke! So we stuck him in the bath and called the doctor. After talking to a nurse she told us no solids, just a tsp of water every 5 minutes. We put him to bed hoping for no more puke. At 4:30 he woke up coughing and of course, more puke. We brought him in bed with us and when he woke up he was so thirsty and hungry, we only gave him a little water and a few bites of a plain donut. Yep, you guessed it, it all came up all over our pillows! After another call to the doctor we took him to Medcheck, where we told them what was going on and then sent us directly to the ER. It was about 11 am and our poor little guy was so hungry! We got checked in and they brought him some anti-nausea medicine (Zofran), but he couldn't eat or drink for at least a half hour. He finally fell asleep in my arms, which we all needed. The nurse finally came in and said he could eat/drink something...he was so happy! It all stayed down for 30 minutes so they let us go! We promptly went to the cafeteria (none of us had eaten all day) and got some lunch. So far nothing has come back up! He's doing great today, back to his normal little self:) We almost made it 2 years without an ER trip, I think 21 months is pretty good!

3 comments:

The Haughs said...

Oh wow! Glad everything is okay! :) Olivia shut herself in the garage one time when we were out there playing. She found the garage door opener that I keep in the stroller. The front door was locked. . . luckily the patio door was open. It was awful. . .

Chrissy said...

Good thing you had your cell phone. I would have FLIPPED if I didn't have my phone!

And the whole 24-hr flu thing: just wait until you have two of 'em!!! Once you get #1 treated, #2 then gets it. It's no longer a 1-day thing! Blech.

Andrea Schultz said...

OMG, so glad everything is ok...what a weekend, I am sure none of that was in the plans :) Hope the week is better!